Discussion Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Reply To:

• Hannah Apricot Eckberg

Administrator
    May 11, 2019 at 5:40 pm

Hello Earth Lovers,

Hoping to chat Earth Repair. I am big fan of Masanobu Fukuoka’s work. One-Straw was a life changer for me. I’ve since read all of his books (in English). I share his dream of seeding the deserts and re-greening the surface of the planet. We need forests like never before!

To contribute to the current topic;

Blackberries have an interesting role as an invasive. They protect disturbed soils from further intrusion (vicious thorns). Deep roots penetrate compacted ground. They drop vegetative matter as mulch to repair poor soils. They provide wildlife shelter and food. In about 20 years time, the alders and other pioneers will shade them out, leaving behind some rather nice soil. This is not to say that I disagree altogether with taking them out. They are rather nasty if they are in the way of other intended uses. However, if they are NOT in the way, consider their ecological benefits before declaring war. If the intention is to clear them and plant native trees and plants…go for it. The roots are something to be reckoned with. Dig them (sweat, blood and cursing required), or cover them with a light barrier for at least a year. Black plastic works alright, pond liners work better. Good luck! (you’ll need it 😉

Oh yeah, if you really want to get tough with them…a pen of pigs will root them out. mmm… bacon…